Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MLK and the Separation Barrier


I already posted this in the previous post, but since it's in the middle of Dr. King's letter, I wasn't sure how many would actually find it. So I'm reposting it here. =)

Perhaps more than any other element of his article, this statement brings Israel and Palestine hauntingly to mind:

"Segregation, to use the terminology of the Jewish philosopher Martin Buber, substitutes an I-it" relationship for an "I-though" relationship and ends up relegating persons to the status of things...Paul Tillich said that sin is separation. Is not segregation an existential expression 'of man's tragic separation, his awful estrangement, his terrible sinfulness'?"

"An unjust law is a code that a numerical or power majority group compels a minority group to obey but does not make binding on itself. This is difference made legal."

No comments: