Monday, February 4, 2008

Prayer, Peace, Poetry, and Iraq.

Here's another poem. This one's a response to several churches in America setting 12:00 p.m. eastern time (9:00 a.m. on the west coast) as a national time of prayer for peace in Iraq.

The Arabic translates as follows:
The Adhan (the call to prayer)
Allahu Akbar (God is the greatest)
Hayya 'ala-s-Salah (hasten to the prayer)
As-Salatu khairun min an-naum (prayer is better than sleep)

Adhan
By Megan Buff

Allahu Akbar.
My watch beeps
As I sleepily roll
Out of bed and
Onto my knees.
Nine a.m.

Allahu Akbar.
I am on my face
With exhaustion now,
Praying for peace
In this crazy world.

Hayya 'ala-s-Salah.
Sitting up, I begin
My own prayer
In solidarity with
Christians everywhere.

As-Salatu khairun min an-naum.
This is the time set
And we all pray
For peace in Iraq.
In the world.

Allahu Akbar.
I bow my head
To my God
In supplication for
All God's people.

No comments: